Monday, August 18, 2008

Carter's 300 something day of Preschool



So it's been awhile since I've done a post on my dear sweet lovely one. I thought it was about time. So I wanted to make sure I wrote this down as well as my thoughts cause I know one day I will look back and think geez Tia what was the big deal look at the amazing kid he's turned into, you really didnt' have to be such a physcho crazy worrier:) Anyway after a little trouble in preschool last year and the year before we decided that he wasn't ready for kindergarten. Okay so intellectually he's definetly ready but thats not all the matters in school right? This was a tough decision cause if someone asked me a year ago there was no way in HE** I was going to keep him home another year. So we went ahead and made the decision. I'm not sure If I thought some miracle was going to happen and he would start preshcool again and just do amazing - REALITY CHECK not going to happen. This is a work in progress and we pretty much just take it one day at a time, or pretty much one hour at a time. So yes on the first day his teacher came to me and said - "um Carter was a little crazy today and we had a couple of issues and I was just wondering if you had any suggestions" I wanted to say NO I don't even know what to do with him!! So after having a major melt down (not right there in front of the teacher - later at the gym on the phone with my sister) I regrouped got my act together, said a prayer and said to myself
YES you do know what to do you have read a billion books on this subject you're practically a therapist at this point!
That little pep talk helped, so I went in the next day volunteered to help at his school and talked to his teacher. I feel much better and now Im back to reality - just trying to recognize the positives. For instance he had a great day today and did pretty darn good!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, he will get better. In kindergarten, Skyler had a super rough time listening and being in control of himself. I got notes home everyday explaining how he did that day. Seriously though, halfway through kinder, it was like a light switch turned on and he has been awsome ever since. The last two years, his teachers actually had him helping tutor the other kids and using his behavior as an example. If someone would have told me that those first few months of kinder, I never would have believed them EVER. The only thing I knew to do was just pray that he would be able to control himself and it finally happened. He is still a pill for me at times, but in school he is great, so hang in there!!!!!!!!!! He is dang cute by the way!

cookie said...

I wonder where he gets his spunky 'tude. :) Could he BE any cuter???

Lori Ellsworth said...

First, I love the title of your post. Funny. Carter is going to be Emily's boyfriend in about 15 years so he'll do just fine! I've seen some really crazy kids come through in my years of teaching, but those K teachers can do amazing things!

debsfreckles said...

Your right Tia, you do know what you are doing. If I was going to call anyone about parenting advice, it would be you. It just takes time. Don't worry, he will get it soon.

AudyCamp said...

The greatest sign that tells me he will be just fine is that his Mom cares so much about him and his behavior..when you worry is when the parents don't care. Carter will do great Im sure!!! He is so dang CUTE and because he's ready academically maybe him helping other kids will help.

sara said...

I love how he already looks like he's 12 in those pictures!
How did volunteering go?? That and talking to the teacher - not sure there is much more you could be doing...It will get better - It sounds like it already is! YESSSSSSS.

Mauzy Fam said...

Yea, you're a great mom - i can tell. So I wanna know all the cool things you've learned in all those books you've read. What did you do differently the next day? I'm so worried about my Dallin even going to Preschool for the first time next year. Share all that advice!

Chredna said...

Wow Tia....I don't know if I could have done it!! I have been looking forward to FREE public school ever since Reagan turned two I had to start paying $570 a month in preschool tuition for both of them to attend three days a week! The money savings alone would be enough to tell myself...."Oh well, she'll get used to it." But you're a better mom than me. Hey when are you coming down??

leinbachfamily said...

Brave girl. He will be so prepared and more ready for Kindergarten. I'm impressed with your dedication.
Check out our new website we just got it running www.treehouseyuma.com Hopefully we will be open by the end of Sept. Talk to you soon.

Jen said...

You are awesome Tia. You know Carter best, and you know what is best for him. He is a great boy and all those things that he struggles with now, will be great assests to him in the future. Hang in there, it will all come together, better than you could have imagined.

kristal said...

I am soo stinking glad you had a simular melt down about the same time as me! Last wed. We got two horrifying notes from Jaden's teacher...first "he needs to work on focusing/paying attention". NICE...ADD. Then "we'd like him to go into Title I reading"...nice he can't read. And then that night we go to Elementary Open House and all of the 1st graders have pictures they drew of themselves on the wall. They were all really cute little people, but one paper had a blog with sticks all over. Needless to say, I made Jase watch the kids and walked off crying. MY GOSH! Seriously at home I feel like he's this amazing super, great, smart kid, but I guess he is...if he were a kindergartner! blah! Boo on school!